Thursday, July 16, 2009

Peer Reflection: Preamble

Although I only have 26 years of experience, I feel that is enough to write this note to my peers. All too often, we have the feeling of being invincible, meaning that nothing can conquer us. I guess I should put this into first person because I can’t speak for you. I have lived my life in such a way that doesn’t put consequence into perspective. I tend to be impulsive and make decisions that affect me after the fact. On a large scale, consider the excessive spending by our government. Once thought to stimulate our economy, this money has gone into the savings accounts and debt payoff of our now seemingly sensible society, alliteration intended. On a small scale, consider the once recreational drug use we now see plaguing our small towns. A Lamar County native, I feel a warmth envelope me as I drive into Vernon. However, in the darkness looms a problem. This problem is not only in Vernon, it is across the world. Turn on the television, there is a problem. Go to the movies, there is a problem. Get in your car to go to the store on a Friday night and pray that someone who has been drinking and feels invincible enough to drive does not share your streets. And pray the same thing for your loved ones. All of us notice a drastic change in substance abuse spanning throughout our lives. It is a real problem and it does affect you. Last night on the news, my family caught the sight of young adults from their community that were caught up in the tragedy facing our youth. Some will overcome this need to escape reality by realizing they have a problem. Some will face an incident that will forever shape their lives and realize that they would rather live than die. Some will never have an opportunity to change. I have made decisions in my life that, upon reflection, could have killed me or someone else. I have a lot of past that I am not proud of. I have a wonderful family who opens up the door to listen to me anytime, and without judgment. I have friends who I consider family. There are people I want to scream at until they wake up, but most often I have found that these people just needed someone to listen to them. I did. I pray that each of you is blessed with loved ones who think about you, even when you aren’t with them. I pray that those of you who have constant battles with personal demons are able to overcome and share your testimony with others. I pray that every experience teaches us to grow and share and become interdependent, not codependent, on each other. I pray that this opens a window and lets a little sunlight in, forcing the darkness out. My God laughs at my haircut while some judge my character. My God blesses me more and more each day because I reach out to Him and to others I feel I can help ‘fix.’ My life is not perfect, has never been perfect, and will never be perfect, but I assure you that I am a work in progress. I have a wonderful support system and I thank God for each blessing I have received. May God bless you as you have read this, and as you make decisions that affect your life and the lives of those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment